Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pattern Recognition Vs. Perceived Value


Figure 3 is actually the same object as Figure 2 rather it is being viewed as if you were to turn the object 90 degrees to the right (from a 3D perspective). The 3rd figure does not appear to have as much in common with the previous due to the observer's attempt to recognize a pattern.

One application I get from this is in regards to the perceived value of people, products, services, etc, in the marketplace and beyond. Perceived value is essential to economic drivers in the stock market, banking institutions and many other entities. What I find to be more troubling is the pernicious impact it has on people, e.g. their confidence, self-esteem, rage, depression, etc. Guess there will likely be a magnificent pendulum swing in the opposite direction toward fear, skepticism and cynicism.

It's only natural to react after getting it wrong. Sometimes, however, it is important to take a step back and recognize what mistakes were made. Regardless, in the end, it is important that one be able to keep on going.

1 comment:

joel said...

Ryan,
I don't give a good God damn about the three figures.
The whole rubix cube phenomena always frustrated me, same as the GRE questions about how many books you can fit on shelf one if you take half of the books on shelf two and move a third of those to shelf three.... and on and on and on.
It's not that I'm against abstract thought. I love it. One might say I even live for it at times.
It's just that I want to know what it is that I'm tracking after.
Don't give the clay pidgeon man; I want to take a real flesh and blood turkey out of the sky - watch him hit the ground, legs fluttering about. I want to see life and death on the line, not a series of three flat figures.
But let us return to your initial proposal:
"Pattern Recognition vs. Percieved Value."
That sounds liek: "What you see is not always what you get."
This is true enough.
We small earth walkers do have but one angle to see the world from and our tools of perception are often cloudy, as reliable as an handmedown pocket watch.
We bring our emotional, spiritual, familial history to our perception of anything.
This is part of the great thrill and limit of being human. That we have a pinhole to look into eternity at all is a thing to marvel at.
Nay, our pinhole perceptions are a thing to drink the finest scotch to.
But the thing about our perceptions is that they always point to our limitations. We know we are limited. Why? How do we know? We just know. We just know that there must be more to the picture. We can't possibly be the be all end all.
We know this because we FEEL IT in our bones and we experience it every time we are surprised or perplexed or confused by events that bump into our world.
And so we question, we ponder, we drink whisky and rest up and we press on.
I'm not where I want to be with this response yet, but I'm builing up steam.
In short, our experience of the world tells us that there is much more than we will ever know. And not only that, our experience tells us that we won't be satisfied until we know it all.

I retire into my Alaskan bedchambers for the evening.
But I will return.

Best regards,

The phenom...onologist